Ashton on Mersey Cricket and Tennis Club was founded in 1897 from a site on Atkinson Road (Sale). In 1911 the club moved to a site at Carrington Moss before moving again in 1919 to its present site at Little Ees Lane (“The Beets”).
Six years later in 1925 the land was bought for £500. In 1926, 2 army huts were brought in as changing rooms which was the beginnings of the first pavilion. For 12 years the club operated with water brought up from a well and no power before services were finally installed in 1938.
In 1946 AOMCC joined the Manchester Association Cricket League. The pavilion just about survived a tornado in 1958 which caused extensive damage and 2 years later the pavilion was completely destroyed by fire. Success came in 1959 with the cricket sections 1st silverware as AOMCC won the Manchester Association Championship (the Stockton Trophy).
In more recent times the 2nd woodem pavilion was burnt to the ground again in 1985. This prompted the building out the present brick pavilion which left the club with a debt of £60,000 at the time. The following year modern water and electricity services were installed.
Success was to follow in the 1990’s. In 1995 Bill Lowes led AOM 2nd X1 to the Association Title (Edward Barton Trophy) whilst 1st X1 titles followed in 1996 (Stockton Trophy) and 1997 (President’s Trophy). In 1999 AOMCC left the Manchester Association to join the newly formed Cheshire Pyramid structure involving 9 divisions – Cheshire County League (Divisions 1-3), Meller Braggins Cheshire League (Divisions 1-3), and Cheshire Alliance (Divisions 1-3).
After a period of instability Mark Timms led AOM to the Meller Braggins Division 2 Championship in 2006 before taking the Meller Braggins Championship in 2009, with a team almost exclusively made up of players who had come up through the junior ranks within the club. 2006 also saw AOMCC named Meller Braggins Club of the Year. In 2012 the club will be competing in the Meller Braggins Cheshire League Division 1 (Division 4 of 9 in the Cheshire Pyramid).
Roll on covers were introduced for the first time in 2005 and a brand new purpose built score-box followed in 2007. 2009 saw the construction of an outdoor 3 lane nets facility which was 75% funded by the ECB. That year also saw the installation of Solar Thermal and Solar Photo Voltaic, a major development towards the clubs energy plan.
Click here to see the Club Committees
Click here to see the Honours Board