Where it all began
Ashton on Mersey Cricket and Tennis Club was founded in 1897 from a site on Atkinson Road (Sale). In 1911 the club moved to a site at Carrington Moss before moving again in 1919 to its present site, “The Beets” on Little Ees Lane.
In 1925 the land was bought for £500. In 1926, two army huts were brought in as changing rooms, which were the beginnings of the first pavilion. For 12 years the club operated with water brought up from a well and no power before services were finally installed in 1938.
In 1946 AoMCC joined the Manchester Association Cricket League. The pavilion just about survived a tornado in 1958, which caused extensive damage but two years later the pavilion was completely destroyed by fire. The clubs’ first silverware arrived in 1959 with the capture of the Manchester Association Championship (the Stockton Trophy).
In more recent times disaster struck again, as the second wooden pavilion was burnt to the ground in 1985. This prompted the construction of the present brick pavilion, which left the club with a debt of £60,000 at the time. The following year modern water and electricity services were installed at The Beets.
Success was to follow in the 1990’s. In 1995 Bill Lowes led the 2nd XI to the Association Title (Edward Barton Trophy) whilst the 1st XI titles followed in 1996 (Stockton Trophy) and 1997 (President’s Trophy). In 1999 AoMCC left the Manchester Association to join the newly formed Cheshire Pyramid structure.
After a period of instability, Mark Timms led AoM to the Meller Braggins Division 2 Championship in 2006, before taking the Meller Braggins Championship in 2009, with a team almost exclusively made up of homegrown players.
Further development took place in the 2000’s, with the introduction on roll on covers in 2005, a brand new purpose built scorebox in 2007 and the construction of a three lane outdoor nets facility, which was 75% funded by the ECB, in 2009. That year also saw the installation of Solar Thermal and Solar Photo Voltaic, a major development towards the clubs energy plan.
Between 2016-2018 major developments to the Clubhouse were undertaken, including an extensive refurbishment of the Bar, a new scorebox (Replacing the once built in 2007, which was destroyed by a fire) and state of the art scoreboard, a new beer garden and the removal of the Tennis Courts, which had been un-used for a number of years.